We are currently open for poetry submissions. Please read the terms and conditions on this page, follow our guidelines, and submit your work for consideration.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES | TERMS & CONDITIONS
The following serves as terms and conditions for publication, and submission of work assumes acceptance of these terms. We suggest that you print this page and retain it for your records.
Format and Content
- Submissions will typically be between 50-150 pages.
- Up to 10,000 words.
- Poetry titles are in 6″x9″ format.
- Shorter works of up to 22 pages in our Creative Portfolio Series are also promoted in the Wordcatcher Modern Poetry Series.
- Typesetting and layout will be consistent with our current titles.
- The work will be released in print and ebook formats unless stated otherwise.
- You can include Acknowledgements, Dedication, Preface, Foreword, Introduction, etc. Please supply this at the outset and in the document you submit.
- You can organise your poems into Chapters / Sections, or run concurrently – the choice is yours.
- Our house style is to start poems that span more than one page on the left page, and for this reason we may move poems around slightly – let us know in advance if any poems need to remain in a certain order.
- Titles retail up to £8.99, although work over 110 pages may be higher, and under 60 pages may be priced lower. We will determine the selling price in discussion with you based on what we believe will help your book to sell best.
- We will consult with you on a front cover, but the final decision is ours, and cover designs will fit into our house style. We want you to be proud of your book, so your input is essential in this process.
- We anticipate that you have crafted each and every word, so we are will not make word changes or corrections. We may make suggestions where we believe it might help the reader, but you are 100% responsible for the finished work.
- Typically, we have 2-3 rounds of revisions, so when you receive a manuscript for review please read it through carefully on each instance. If revisions become excessive, we will make a charge for further edits, unless it is because of our error. We will let you know before this occurs.
- You will have the opportunity to approve the final version.
- This is an exclusive publishing contract – it does not assign copyright to us, only a right to publish your work globally.
- We only require rights for ebook and print editions, and only in English. You retain all other publishing rights. If we add other formats or languages we will approach you with an offer and add it to our agreement. Until then, we believe it’s wrong to take rights for formats we don’t produce or market.
- This agreement may limit your ability to post your work on Facebook, blogs, etc, as you need to seek confirmation from us prior to any such publication.
- You indemnify us to any losses due to plagiarism or copyright disputes. You agree that this work is original and your own. In the event of publishing work that infringes on a third party’s rights, you further agree to pay Wordcatcher £150 compensation for each occurrence in a published work, plus any legal costs we incur, in addition to any damages or costs of third parties. We take copyright seriously, whoever it belongs to, and will do our utmost to protect your rights when the work is published.
- There is no need to sign a separate contract, submission via this form constitutes your acceptance of terms and conditions. Do NOT submit this form if you are not prepared to be bound by these terms.
Our Schedule for Publication
- We currently have over 50 poetry titles, and aim to publish up to 20 poetry titles per year.
- Please allow up to 8 weeks for us to respond to your submission – after that time you are welcome to contact us to track its progress.
- Publication day will generally be on a Wednesday, although this need not be the day you have a book launch. We are marketing Wordcatcher Wednesdays for promotional purposes.
- The actual publication date will depend on: our workload at the time of submission; significant dates to tie-in with; your request for publication date; deadlines for possible submission to reviewers; and our existing release schedule. We will liaise with you at the time of acceptance of the work to agree a schedule.
Publication with Wordcatcher includes the following:
- Assistance with writing the back cover blurb / book description.
- Assistance with writing your author bio.
- Allocation of an ISBN to all editions.
- Advice on pricing your book.
- Advice on keywords and categories (BIC/BISAC and Thema).
- Dissemination of full metadata to book trade partners, with relevant updates on an ongoing basis.
- Fulfilment of Legal Library Deposit to UK libraries.
- We send your book to the RNIB for free distribution to readers with visual impairments (you can opt out of this).
- Ebook distribution to Amazon Kindle, Kobo, Nook, Google Play, and many other online retailers.
- Print on Demand availability of titles to retailers around the world.
- Dissemination to Neilsen in the UK, Bowker in the USA, and BookNet in Canada.
- Publication will be under one of our imprints at our discretion. We are registered with Neilsen in the UK as Wordcatcher Publishing Group Ltd.
- You are responsible for marketing your title once published. We advise that you set aside a budget for this. Most poets do best when they actively promote their work via readings and events.
- You will have access to resources, advice, and services via authorhub.info to assist with the marketing of your book.
- It is up to you to arrange book launches/events, we do not have the resources to do this for you. We will advertise any events you notify us of.
- Your book will be made available to the book trade and online retailers both here in the UK and around the world.
- We may use your book for marketing purposes, and we may choose to promote your book on our website, or in other promotions.
- We may use extracts of your work to promote your book, and that of Wordcatcher poetry in general.
- We are committed to selling books, not just packages, and we want your book to be successful and we are equally invested in achieving sales of your title.
- If you take our standard poetry publication package, 25 copies of your book are included. If you sell them at the recommended retail price of £8.99 you will recoup nearly half of the outlay for the package. This is achievable at a book launch. the break-even to cover the cost of our publication package is around 60 books.
- Our terms are 50/50 split on net royalties received from whatever source.
- You receive up to 40% off RRP for personal stock (no royalty is due and you can sell at any price up to the RRP).
- The final costs of stock will depend on the extent and RRP of the book.
- We pay royalties twice per year in March and September.
Existing / Established Authors
We prioritise the review of submissions from authors we already publish as we want to build a solid collection and offer readers the opportunity to purchase more by the same author. We look favourably on submissions by authors with either self-published or previously unpublished works who are looking to publish more than one title with us.
Previously Published Content
If any of the work your are submitting has been previously published you will need to advise us of when and where this was, so we can make a judgement on whether we want to publish it in the collection. You must have the legal right to re-publish this work with us. If there were conditions placed on any prior publication we need to know what they were. Entries into competitions, for example, sometimes carry restrictions on re-publication. If you are unsure, please ask and we can discuss.
How to Submit
- We only accept submissions using this online form – please complete it carefully and in full.
- We will reject poorly written or incomplete submissions.
- You must submit a single MS Word document of the whole collection (.doc or .docx) with each poem starting on a new page, and in your desired order.
- Please separate poems using Page Breaks, not blank lines.
- Avoid the use of Tabs.
- Name your manuscript file in the format:
book title v1 XX
replacing XX with your initials
- When corresponding via email, please use the title of your book as the subject line
- Attach your manuscript to the submission form below.
- You will need to complete some additional information so we can disseminate full details about you and your book to the trade.
- Submission of this form does not guarantee publication and we reserve the right to decline publication at our absolute discretion.
When you click SUBMIT you will be re-directed to the page to pay for your poetry publication package. We cannot proceed with your submission until payment is received. In the event of us declining publication, you will receive a full refund.